Chocolate and coffee ? Together ? Whoever came up with that combination should have won a Nobel Peace Prize. Or at least a subscription to Reader's Digest.”
Darynda Jones, Second Grave on the Left
If you've had a Mocha Latte and loved it there are good chances that you will love the marriage of cocoa powder and coffee in this cold dessert as well.
I have to be honest though, patience has never been one of my virtues and this one does require that in good doses. Not that its difficult to make; its the simplest of cold desserts to put together but the waiting time between the layers is what requires exercising immense calmness.
And if you whisk whenever the recipe asks you to (good to get some exercise before you empty the glass into your system:)) trust me you will end up with something that will earn you several compliments. These look really pretty in individual wine glasses though I am sure one big generous portion in a trifle bowl will do it justice too.Coffee, vanilla and chocolate stripes
285 gms caster sugar
6 tbsp cornflour
900 ml milk
3 egg yolks
6 tbsp butter
1 generous tbsp instant coffee powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. To make the coffee layer, place 90 grams of the sugar and 2 tbsp of the cornflour in a heavy pan. Gradually add 1/3rd of the milk, whisking until well blended. Over medium heat, whisk in one of the egg yolks and bring to the boil, whisking.Boil for 1 minute
2. Remove the pan from heat and stir in 2 tbsp of the butter and the instant coffee. Cool.
3. Divide the coffee mixture among six glasses and smooth the tops before the mixture sets.
4. To make the vanilla layer, place half of the remaining sugar and cornflour in a heavy pan. Whisk in half the milk. Over medium heat, whisk in another egg yolk and bring to the boil, whisking.Boil for one minute.
5. Remove the pan from heat and stir in 2 tbsp of the butter and the vanilla. Cool. Spoon it over the coffee layer. Smooth the tops.
6.To make the chocolate layer, place the remaining sugar and cornflour in a heavy pan. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk until blended. Over medium heat,whisk in the last egg yolk and bring to the boil, whisking.Boil for 1 minute.
7.Remove from heat, stir in the remaining butter and the cocoa. Leave to cool.
8. Spoon on top of the vanilla layer. Chill to set.
And in other news, Ruchira of the great cookaroo made by day by giving me an award.
Thanks R. People if you haven't read her blog, please do. You will love it.
I 'd like to spread some love by giving it to five of my favorite bloggers. Liebster means dearest in German and these ladies are truly very dear to me:)
2. Sharon and Rekha of The Key Bunch
5. Parul of Radio Parul
Ladies, if you choose to accept this award:
2.Link back to the blogger who gave you the award
3.Choose five of your favorite blogs that deserve to be noticed
4. Leave a message to the chosen five, informing them about the award
Images : Personal Album
Recipe : 500 Best Ever Recipes CHOCOLATE